Board Meeting Highlights – 16 July 2023
Here are the highlights from the 16 July 2023 KCC Board Meeting.
Present: Board members: Jennifer Chang, John Rothermich, Brad Upton, Peter Wood, David Thornburgh. Guests: Sally Mead, Liza Baer
1. Executive session. Discussion of Board recruiting potential candidates, followed by unanimous vote of support for David Thornburgh joining the Board.
2. Updates on recent activities.
- Empowerment weekend overview (Liza): There were 69, 71, and 65 participants, respectively, for the Vajrasattva, Chenrezig, and Green Tara empowerments on July 8 and 9.
- Sustaining member drive update (Liza): Progress towards goals were presented at this morning’s sangha meeting: 15 new Sustaining Members, 14 Sustaining Members increased their pledges, 14 significant one time gifts, and 9 new volunteers (there are a total of 74 volunteers according to Sally).
- Financial projections update: Reserve dropped slightly this month. This is anticipated due to KCC’s hiring of additional staff. Before the empowerment event there was an approximate $7000 income shortfall relative to projections. The empowerments brought in more money than expected and it is hoped that the events with Ringu Tulku Rinpoche will compensate for revenue lost due to the cancellation of Khenpo Rinpoche’s visit.
3. October Leadership retreat – Attendees shared ideas about the agenda and purpose of this retreat.
4. September Board meeting. Unanimous to cancel September board meeting due to Board member travel.
5. Strategic planning approval process. While the board will be the entity that formally approves the strategic plan, the draft will be reviewed by KCC staff, Service Group leads, Program Council, and the Strategic Planning Committee.
The board holds generally meets on the third Sunday of every month from 1:30pm – 4:30pm at KCC; all are welcome to attend.