May 2022 – Sangha Meeting Notes
Sangha Meeting Notes – 5/8/2022: The Sangha meeting was held in person at KCC and on Zoom. Ryan and John R attended from the Board. Linda G. attended for the Service Group Coordinators. Judatha took the notes.
Service Group Coordinator Report:
Programs/Retreats: Recent retreats were not full, but our technology supported the hybrid format well. This allows us to continue to offer hybrid retreats.
Upcoming retreats are open for registration at kcc.org.
- Yidam retreat – May 14-21
- Family retreat – May 28-30: This retreat will be loosely unstructured with families hiking, crafting, cooking, and being together on the land. Kathleen B. (Lama) will be present with informal dharma talks and teachings likely to occur. Parents, grandparents, and kids are welcome. Contact Mary Woods with questions. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Month-long retreats – Jun 17-July 16: Week-long option during this month is available and will be announced soon. Contact Linda G. with questions. email@example.com
- Personal retreats: Sangha members may conduct retreats of any length as individuals or in small groups when the land is not in use. Contact Linda G.
- Mahamudra/Yidam Retreat in Spain – September tbd. Lama Eric will translate for Khenpo Lodro Donyo Rinpoche. Zoom is tbd. Linda will advise re exact dates.
- Shamata Retreat – October. Three-day and seven-day, hybrid.
Special Speaker: First week in September, Khenpo Konchog Gyaltsen will be a guest speaker at KCC. Khenchen Konchog Gyaltsen Rinpoche – Drikung Dharma Surya Center
Short teaching offerings to be added to kcc.org. Example, “What is Shamata?”
Children’s Program: The Children’s Program will offer summer activities monthly in the summer and will begin a regular program in the Fall. Email Mary W. for info. Woodsmb@gmail.com
Mary would like to collaborate with others on ideas for renewing our space downstairs. Contact her to talk about this.
SCOL: Question re water situation at SCOL. Team is looking at options for treating the water. The problem causing the presence of bacteria is not in our tank. This topic is part of a larger conversation about SCOL. SCOL is, financially, “a hulking hole in the hull of our ship” as well as “the jewel of KCC.”
Further: One person is living as SCOL now. We are considering options for being able to take care of the land. Hire someone from Goldendale? Group of KCCers to take this on?
“We would like to come to a vision for SCOL by the end of Fall.”
More than one meeting will likely be needed. Possible we will have an update re SCOL at the next sangha meeting, express concerns and wishes.
Strategic Planning: Update on the process was emailed to the sangha.
Board committee is distilling information for main themes and focused topics for
discussion. Board is planning to use a consultant.
Karmapa Matter: Eight people comprise a committee looking at next steps, prioritizing, working with language, interfacing with other organizations around policy change and development. (John R leading) LaShelle Lowe-Charde of the Oregon Network for Compassionate Communication (orncc.net) will facilitate one to two meetings to address the spiritual crisis around the Karmapa allegations. First meeting to be scheduled asap, but Lama Eric will be away for much of June, and his attendance is needed. Board is looking at possibility for a meeting in June.
Board acknowledges the Inclusivity Action Plan brought to the Board last December is moving more slowly than they would like.